Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lindenwood University's Sibley Day



Lindenwood University’s Sibley Day


I got the great opportunity to learn a new skill on the first annual Sibley Day. There were many different activities to choose from, but the one that really caught my eye was called “Dynamic Professional Cover Letters and Resumes to Open Doors for Interviews”. I mean wouldn’t you go check something out if you saw so many adjectives in one sentence? As a matter of fact it grabbed my eye faster than any of the other seminars offered. I always thought I had a great copy of a resume, but little did I know I was half way wrong. Mrs. Wehrli had a great power point presentation as a visual aide as well as being very informative. She mentioned that times have changed as far as how to prepare a great resume. There are so many job applications being sent to companies now a days that these companies are flying through these stacks of paper and picking out the best resumes that they can find. The way you write a resume out can possibly get you that job you’ve been looking for or totally “screw up” your chance of any success. To get the best possible chance of reeling in that job, you must follow a few guidelines. The First Impression is so important. How you communicate internally by highlighting your strengths will cause a second look on the employer’s part. Don’t overdo it by using unprofessional language. Example would be, “I Love Children”. Strive for one page. Employers have only so much time to glance over resumes, so they want to see your first impression fast. This means you need to keep your margins equal as well as choosing a neutral color on a bond, sturdy paper, such as white, light gray, or ivory color. You need a strong mission statement that is personal. Do not use I, Me, or My. They are reading about you, and you don’t need to re-tell them that. Always include references. Don’t tell them they are available upon request. They are busy people and they want all your information right there in your resume. Don’t forget to use power verbs when writing your resume. These will only super charge your accomplishments. There are never enough ways to “WOW” an employer.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh, your writing is entertaining. It's interesting to see what you have to write because you really don't speak your mind that often. You should. I like the power verbs here and I might have to use some of them.

    ReplyDelete