Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Late Night With Generation Y?














What more relevant issue than to talk about Conan O’Brian and Jimmy Fallon. It might sound somewhat non media Generation Y, to actually talk about these two people. I’m going to have to make you reconsider that. For many years now late night talk shows have given people something to end the day on.


Laughter is a cure for disease, bad days, and even that common frown. Depending on what time you go to bed, you can finish the day with David Letterman, Jay Leno, or maybe Conan.





I even watched Johnny Carson when I was growing up. People do stay up just for these shows. The problem is that we have a new audience popping into the picture. Generation Y. We love extreme and MTV. We don’t want to watch these late shows as much, because most of the jokes that are popped, we just can’t understand. The cure for Generation Y to get injected back into late night television is change. It’s always been like that, and when we are old, change will happen again. The media has to change for our selfish habits of wanting more. They also have to keep the old audience so they won’t lose any viewers to another program.

This comes to my next point of the Saturday Night Live star, Jimmy Fallon. Why was he chosen to play such a big part? He is well liked, loved and easy to laugh at. He is pulling the young back into late night. I took the time to view this new host’s show on Hulu.com. The reason I didn’t watch it on television was that I totally forgot about it. Hulu.com is a wonder if you want to watch pretty much anything on cable.


Watching the Late Show with Jimmy Fallon, I expected to see a juvenile, trying to capture the audience’s attention. I was quite wrong. He did great for a first show. It definitely helped bringing Justin Timberlake into the picture.


They relived an act played on SNL which broke all ice and fidgetiness. I don’t want to sound like I’m writing a commentary about this show, but I really think Jimmy will be around for awhile. Conan wasn’t even known before his show and look how good he has done. This is one big step to bring younger viewers back to the late night show circuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment